Do I need a permit to study in Canada??

In general, foreign nationals need a study permit to pursue studies in Canada. There are some exceptions; for example if your course is six months or less you don’t need a study permit. However, we recommend you to get one in case you decide to continue your studies.

If you are from a country that requires a visa to enter Canada, you will need to apply for a TRV as well.

Can I work while I am studying??

Yes. Your study permit allows you to work on or off campus under certain conditions without a work permit.

As an international student, can I travel outside Canada during my studies??

Yes, as long as you have a valid travel document/passport, a valid study permit and a valid temporary resident visa (if applicable) in order to re-enter Canada.

If I get sick while I am studying in Canada, will the government or school cover the medical fees??

No. It is mandatory for you to be covered by a medical insurance during the entire duration of your studies.

I am already studying in Canada but I want to change my school/academic program, do I need to apply for a new study permit??

If you are a post-secondary student you may change school/academic program without applying for a new study permit as long as your current one still valid.

Can I stay in Canada after my graduation??

If your academic program was full-time and at least 8 months in duration, you can apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit and stay in Canada up to three years after your graduation.