Skilled Worker

What do I need to apply as a skilled worker??

You must have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience in an eligible occupation within the last 10 years; proof of advanced intermediate language proficiency in English or French; provide either Canadian educational credentials or a foreign educational credential assessment conducted by a designated institution; show proof of sufficient settlement funds.

How can I prove my language proficiency??

You must submit the results of an authorized language test (CELPIP/IELTS/TEF) taken in the last two years.

Can I apply as a skilled worker if I have a Canadian job offer??

Yes, as long as it is a full-time and not seasonal work. Notice that some job offers may require a LMIA as well.

Can I apply as a skilled worker if I am currently studying in Canada??

Yes, PhD students who have completed 2 years of their program and are in good standing are eligible as well as those who graduated from a PhD program within the last 12 months. However, if your studies are part of a scholarship or award requiring you to go back home after graduation then you won’t be eligible.

If I apply as a skilled worker, can my family accompany me??

Yes, your family can be part of your own application.

Skilled Trades Program

What are the requirements to apply under the Skilled Trades Program??

You must have a valid job offer or a provincial certificate of qualification; 2 years of work experience in that specific trade in the last five years; intermediate language proficiency in English or French; and plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

How do I get a provincial certificate of qualification??

To obtain a certificate of qualification, the trades’ regulatory body in a province or territory must assess your training, experience and skills to determine if you are eligible to take the exam to get certified.

Which trades are eligible under this program??
  • Industrial, electrical, construction.
  • Maintenance and equipment operation.
  • Supervisor and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production.
  • Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators.
  • Chefs, cooks, butchers, bakers.

Provincial Nominee Programs

What do I need to apply under a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)??

You must obtain a nomination certificate from a specific province or territory and then apply for your permanent resident visa. Notice that each province and territory has its own nomination guidelines.

All provinces and territories participate at the PNP??

No. The province of Quebec has its own immigration selection criteria.

What categories exist under the PNP??

Most provinces and territories accept certain workers, students and business people.

Canadian Experience Class

How do I know if I can qualify under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)??

You must have worked full-time or the equivalent in Canada for 12 months in the last three years in a high skilled eligible occupation on a work permit, plan to live outside the province of Quebec, and submit the results of a language test to prove your proficiency (intermediate or advanced intermediate depending on the occupation).

Can I apply under the CEC if my work experience was gained in the province of Quebec??

Yes, all Canadian experience is admissible as long as you plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

Do I have to be in Canada to apply under the CEC??

Not necessarily. As long as you meet the requirements you can still apply if you return to your country.

I am a student in Canada and I work at the same time, does this work experience count??

No. In the case of students, the work experience must be gained after graduation.

Quebec Experience Program

Who can apply under the Quebec Experience Program (PEQ)??

Quebec graduates or future graduates as well as Quebec temporary workers.

I am a student in Quebec and want to stay here, what do I need to be eligible under the PEQ??

You need to be at least 18 years old; have conformed to the conditions of your study permit; hold a Quebec eligible diploma or being six months away of completion of your study program; have advanced intermediate level of French; have sufficient funds to provide for yourself (and family if the case) for the first 3 months after becoming permanent resident.

How long do I have to apply under the PEQ after obtaining my degree in Quebec??

You must apply within the next 3 years after completion of your studies.

I finished my university degree and now I am about to start my master’s degree in Quebec as well; can I submit my application under the PEQ so the process will take place while I study??

No, the objective of this program is for you to become part of the job market so if studies will be your main activity you do not qualify.

What do I need to qualify under the PEQ as a temporary worker??

You must be at least 18 years old; be present in Quebec as legal temporary worker; work on an eligible occupation and have worked for 12 out of 24 past months; have conformed to the conditions of your work permit; have advanced intermediate level of French; have sufficient funds to provide for yourself (and family if the case) for the first 3 months after becoming permanent resident.

I am studying in Quebec and my spouse got an open work permit, can she qualify under the PEQ??

No, accompanying family members of students or temporary workers do not qualify as main applicants.


Which family member can I sponsor to come to live in Canada??

You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner; your parents; grandparents; dependent children; orphaned, unmarried and under 18 years old brother, sister, niece, nephew, grandchildren; intended adopted children under 18 years old; or any other relative if you have no living family member as those listed and no relatives who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Can I sponsor my spouse’s child??

Yes, as long as the child qualifies as dependent can be included in your spouse’s application.

Who can be considered a dependent child??

A child under the age of 19 who is not married and depends financially on his parents. However, those children suffering from a mental or physical condition and unable to self-support will be considered dependent regardless the age.

How can I prove that my partner and I have a common-law relationship??

You must have been living together for at least 12 consecutives months and submit proof of it. For instance: shared bank accounts, shared property, mail, bills, etc.

Can a same-sex partner be sponsored??

Yes, as long as the marriage was valid in the place where it took place it will be valid in Canada. Same-sex common-law partners and conjugal relationships are admissible as well.

A sponsorship application should be submitted only if the sponsored person is outside Canada??

No, there are certain circumstances when a sponsored person can apply within Canada.

Can a sponsored person work or study while the application is being processed in Canada??

Sponsored persons are allowed to work or study only after the sponsorship application has been approved in principle by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. However, if the sponsored person was already in Canada under a work or study permit, may continue to do so.